How to ask your board members for year-end gifts
I know this is important. But, honestly, I’m a major and planned gift marketer… not a fundraising consultant. So I found this article by Gail Perry to be very enlightening. In it, she explains how to tackle the delicate process of annual gift solicitation of board members.
Below I outline her 7 points. Interestingly, the key to the solicitation happens behind the scenes. But you’ll really want to check out her article because she also includes some “DON’Ts” that you will want to read.
- Show them why they need to give.
- Be clear about what is expected of them.
- Support them in soliciting other board members.
- Make the subject of board donations very visible.
- Help the board chair be the front person.
- Give everyone lots of credit and acknowledgement.
- Show impact by tying board member giving to program results.
Again, check out her details and her “DON’Ts” here. They are really terrific.