I used to be TERRIFIED of scheduling visits.
Here are 10 things I did to build confidence in a system that allowed me to schedule over 1,000 visits.
1. Stand up (when calling).
2. Smile (when calling).
3. Use this script for donors in your database you haven’t met with:
“Good morning, Bob… Kevin Fitzpatrick with Acme Nonprofit. The reason I’m calling today specifically is to schedule a visit regarding Acme Nonprofit. How does Tuesday at [10:00] AM look for you?”
4. If you’re feeling nervous before starting your calls, call a friend or family member for 5 minutes just to get used to get comfortable being on the phone.
5. Prepare your list ahead of time. Never wonder who you’re going to reach out to.
6. Exercise and eat a healthy breakfast that morning.
7. Dress up. Wear something that makes you feel confident.
8. Put your time to schedule visits on your calendar. Don’t let anyone or anything interrupt that time.
9. Try all options! Text, email, phone, LinkedIn…they all work! Don’t stick only to your preferred method.
10. Remind yourself of your why. If there is a mission video, picture, or story that fires you up about your work, remind yourself of it before you start making attempts for the day.
Do these things and I promise you’ll start scheduling more visits!
Kevin Fitzpatrick is the owner of One Visit Away, a consulting business helping leaders of nonprofits schedule more and better visits with their benefactors. Kevin’s goal is to help fundraising professionals constantly seek to deepen their relationships with their benefactors. After all, you’re just One Visit Away from growing your mission and your impact.
Subscribe to our blog today and get actionable fundraising ideas delivered straight to your inbox!