In January, Inside Philanthropy interviewed legendary fundraiser Jerold Panas to discover his secrets of attracting wealthy supporters.
Here’s his list:
- It isn’t about your organization or its needs. Rather, it’s about the donor and their needs.
- Go big or go home because big projects tap into donors’ dreams.
- Go in person to get the most generous contributions.
- Avoid dining with donors in restaurants; they make it hard for you to focus on them.
- The more the merrier. Bring two, three, four or more to meetings with donors as long as they have something to add.
- Believe in the cause and yourself. If you don’t people will sense it.
- Remember to ask. You don’t get when you don’t ask.
- Focus on building a solid board and staff. They reflect your organization’s future and destiny.
- Select meaningful, relevant recognition. Acknowledgement satisfies needs only when it’s done right.
You can read the entire article with more details here.
>>The Rule of 7 vs. 3 to 1 Fundraising
>>Is Your Job Really to Raise Money?